Data Destruction Services
Given the criticality of information in today’s business world, it is very important for companies to ensure that vital sensitive / confidential information is not misused or information is carefully destroyed. We at Eco Raksha offer certified data destruction services. We understand the challenges companies face to protect information and thus offer reliable, safe and secure data destruction services.
Data is usually left behind even after the conventional data removal techniques are used to erase data like file deletion, reformatting etc. Eco Raksha is committed to providing professional services to help wipe out sensitive information while adhering to particular sets of standards. Our services aim to meet and exceed the DoD and NIST standards.
Eco Raksha is equipped to safely and securely perform onsite software overwriting and onsite degaussing services.
|Magnetic media is re-usable after Software wipe
||Magnetic media is rendered unusable after degaussing
|Software wipe takes many hours – depending on Media (Hard disk, tape) capacity (GB) and number of passes of over-write required by client
||Degaussing takes 30 secs to 1 minute per media after dismantling the HDD from the asset
|Software wipe is the preferred option when assets are to be donated
||Degaussing is the preferred option when data is extremely sensitive and value return is not critical
Software Overwriting / Disk Wiping / Hard Disk Shredding : This is a simple removal / wiping of all data from hard disk as long as media is writable and not damaged while maintaining the DoD (Department of Defense) 5220.2M, NIST SP800-88 set data destruction standards approved internationally. Data destruction softwares are used which overwrites the same data everywhere-often with just a pattern of zeros which prevents data from being retrieved by reading from the medium again using standard system functions. In an attempt to counter more advanced data recovery techniques, specific overwrite patterns and multiple passes are prescribed. This is usually considered as one of the effective ways to remove recorded vital information from computer hardware.
Eco Raksha also specializes in Software Data Destruction of Enterprise storage devices like EMC, NetApp etc.
Degaussing : The technique of degaussing aims at exposing the data stored in magnetic objects with a magnetic field of greater fluctuating intensity. Hence a machine, a degausser, is used to produce this intense magnetic field. Once exposed data in magnetic objects are reset wherein all data previously stored is erased. After degaussing, the media cannot be reused and has to be recycled.
Data stored in the magnetic media, such as hard drives, floppy disks, and magnetic tape, by making very small areas called magnetic domains change their magnetic alignment to be in the direction of an applied magnetic field. Degaussing leaves the domains in random patterns with no preference to orientation, thereby rendering previous data unrecoverable. Degaussing renders the magnetic media completely unusable and damages the storage system. This is due to the devices having an infinitely variable read / write head positioning mechanism which relies on special servo control data that is meant to be permanently embedded into the magnetic media. This servo data is written onto the media a single time at the factory using special-purpose servo writing hardware.
The servo patterns are normally never overwritten by the device for any reason and are used to precisely position the read / write heads over data tracks on the media, to compensate for sudden jarring device movements, thermal expansion, or changes in orientation. Degaussing indiscriminately removes not only the stored data but also removes the servo control data, and without the servo data the device is no longer able to determine where data is to be read or written on the magnetic medium.
Eco Raksha specializes in degaussing services for the following types of magnetic objects
- Hard Disks: We degauss different types of hard disks irrespective of the form factor Ė 2.5' or 3.5', internal or external.
- IDE/ PATA (Integrated Drive Electronics/ Parallel Advance Technology Attachment) drives are internally installed disks that usually comprise of 40 or 80 pin wide ribbon cables that can simultaneously transfer multiple bits of data whose rate varies depending upon the type/interface IDE . A PATA cable enables two hard drives to be connected with a PATA cable that shares a data bandwidth. These were used in desktops / laptops. They have now been replaced by SATA drives.
- SATA (Serial Advance Technology Attachment) drives are similar to IDE/ PATA with have a different interface that transfers data one bit at a time at the rate on 300MB/sec with a 7 pin data connection. Unlike PATA disk drives, SATA drives do not share the same data bandwidth as one disk can be connected in a single SATA cable. These have replaced IDE drives in desktops and laptops. They are also used in servers and storages with extra micro-code programmed on them by the OEMs.
- SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) drives have usually 50, 68 or 80 pins generally offering a transfer rate of 40MB/sec to 5120 MB/sec which can be installed internally or externally. They are generally hot swappable and were used in servers and storages. They are now replaced by SAS drives.
- SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drives are hot swappable and generally offers a transfer rate of 805MB/sec. These are used in servers and storages. They are preferred over SCSI drives because of the reduced interference, thicker and shorter cables and the ability to support multiple connections simultaneously.
- FC (Fibre channel) drives are more niche. They are mainly used for enterprise storage devices like EMC, NetApp etc.
- Tapes : We degauss different types of magnetic tapes.
- DLT (Digital Linear Tape) are half inch wide tapes made of metal particle tape guided by 4 to 6 rollers that use a linear serpentine method of recording data.
- SDTL or Super DLTís are the superior version of DLT with higher storage capacity greater performance.
- LTO (Linear Tape-Open) are 12.65 mm magnetic tapes having a high capacity tape formats and are exceptionally reliable used with small and large computer systems mainly for backup.
Common Phrases / terminology used while degaussing:
- Gauss: is a mathematical rating referring to the intensity of magnetic field generated by a degausser.
- Oersted: is a mathematical value referring to the intensity of magnetic field strength.
If the Gauss rating is at least twice the Oersted rating then it can be said that data is completely erased from the hard disks.
To assist clients in complying with data privacy regulations, internal company policies Eco Raksha provides a Certificate of Data Destruction on completion of the services which helps companies in mitigating the potential risk due to exposure of intellectual property or sensitive client information / data.